Tuesday, November 20, 2012

A Good Update

Finally I can sit down and write a proper update. Phil is doing amazingly well, seeing his grave situation just about a week ago. He is up and about, eating yummy food and getting some low impact exercise daily. Kay and Mom are here with me to help with the million things that entail care-taking a loved one. Tomorrow is Phil's last radiation session and then he gets about a week or more to rest and prepare for Chemo.

Tomorrow Dad is flying in which I'm so excited for. Dad brings in a lovely lightness to life especially in hard times. He is a master at making us laugh and has the broadest shoulders of any man I know, so he will make our families load that much lighter. Yesterday I received a vase of flowers at the door, from Dad. Included was the sweetest, deepest comfort letter I've ever read and I'll never forget it. Mom has been a rock through this whole thing, keeping me strong, listening to me vent, helping with driving around, feeding us, cleaning. The other night I crawled in bed with her and we talked till the wee hours of morning, and by the end of it we were laughing again. She is an amazing woman, full of wisdom from a hard life and comfort that only a mother can give.



Kay has been unbelievably strong. Phil, the baby of her clan has been through quite a mill, with her there beside him. Never once has she cracked, continually going strong with her amazing outlook and positive encouragement. I can only imagine what it is like to watch your son suffering this way. A part of your body, a piece of your soul in agony, and at such a young age. Who could prepare for that? Kay has been so helpful here at home as well. In the hospital she would sit bedside Phil when I'd go for a shower or a nap, and yet gave us the perfect amount of space when we needed couple time. That would be so difficult, and yet she never gave off the air that it was.



Phil's family flew in at last minute notice when that very bad day came along when everyone around me was saying, this is unfortunate but it's time to call in his family. I try not to think too much of that day because look at where Phil is now. It was just a bump in the road to him getting back to health. At least 3 times in the past few weeks we were expecting Phil to pass, and yet he lives. Let me tell you the best part: not once did he ever complain. Once in a blue moon you would see a tear fall. But always, a tower.

We are thankful for Phil's family and how soon they came when the time called for it. He felt very special with all of his loved ones around him. We are also endlessly thankful for all of you dear friends who came to sit with us, or even without us in the waiting rooms, picking us up dinners and late night craving snacks. For taking care of the cats. For holding me and letting me cry, for making me laugh, for the rides here and there, for EVERYthing you have done. Please know that each of those acts of love kept me afloat when I was starting to sink. Your texts and emails, GIFTS! How could I ever thank you all enough or in the proper way. All I can say is that your care and generosity will always be with us, and have been noticed by Jehovah, who will surely bless you back in special ways.

Here's Phil working on a puzzle with his sister Jenny from Ireland and Rebecca from Texas...This is the day he was discharged and we spend a night at JW House.


What is truly amazing- friends from long ago, back in Canada, and not so long ago in Florida have been sending love, gifts and prayers as well! The organization keeps the world small for us, and news has spread all over the place, allowing for even more prayers to be petitioned. You can't imagine how encouraging and faith strengthening that is to hear. The elders were there is our darkest hours, with words that truly strengthened us. They were truly what kept us sustained, saying just the right things at exactly the best times. I can't stress enough how much they have impacted our lives. We are eternally thankful.

Thank you all for coming to visit once Phil was able to accept visitors. I do believe that your company is what fast-tracked his healing process. I actually saw physically how your presence pushed him forward and kept him up. I know how much of a nightmare hospitals are, the parking, glimpsing into the rooms and being surrounded by sadness and pain. It is truly a beautiful act of kindness for a friend to sacrifice his time to visit a friend in the hospital. We love you all!

Phil has been working on his model airplane that the Knights brought him in the hospital, and it has really been keeping him busy. He loves stuff like that! I was thinking it would be cool to get him some more models and we could hang them up as a collection for him.





He is pretty sick of tv, but we watch Jeopardy daily of course! We are on the hunt for some good puzzles as well, where do you buy yours? Then of course he loves reading historical non fiction and the spiritual books. Also very cute, he is into cooking again. He just bought a rack of lamb that he's gonna cook tmrw! He just happened to marry a woman who loves cooking so he doesn't really get to do it alot, but I am always so happy when he offers to because he really is talented in the kitchen!

Phil will be happy to have home visitors now, depending on the day and how he is feeling. If you are interested, the best time to come see him is in the late afternoon around 3ish, for dinner, or even after dinner sometimes. He is most tired in the afternoon, and sometimes a bit low in the morning, but active later in the day. We have one good week or more of no treatment before Chemo, so I would say now is the time to make an appt to see him. If you are interested in coming by, just text me or comment here. I will be making a schedule so he has things to look forward to.

We are also trying to get him fattened up and a bit stronger physically before Chemo, when you rarely have an appetite at all. If you want to bring him a treat go ahead and look at the revised list of foods he likes here-



Much love and thanks for everything you have done for us!! So sorry if I have forgotten anything, I am truly in a daze! I will keep you updated more often now that I am out of the hospital.
Hollie




4 comments:

Jordy said...

So glad to hear this great news! I cannot imagine what going through this would be like. Many prayers for you both and your families.

kathy s said...

So happy to hear you guys are home and Phil doing better it is so unbelievable how much you two are going through.I can only imagine how difficult it is. I know when my daughter Michele broke her neck it was like a piece of me died until we found out if she was going to make it. so I can imagine what Kay must be going through tell her I love her and you are all in my thoughts and prayers. You are loved very much by all your spiritual family and of course Jehovah. just seeing what you have been going through and how you are keeping so strong shows us how you are truly relying on Jehovah and that helps all of us to cope with our trials and tribulations.
Love Kathy and Gerard Schiano

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the update. I can't even imagine what you are feeling and still you find the time to update us. You guys are in our thoughts and prayers always and it kills us that we can't be there with you as you go through all of this. We're glad to hear phil is home again and that you have such an amazing and loving family by your side. We love you guys. Hugs from tina and luke.

zulema2 said...

You guys are just simply amazing, i love all the support and love that Phil is receiving during this difficult time. you are all inspiring to me. I will add you in my daily prayers. Remember God does not give you more than what you can handle. "All things are possible through Jesus Christ that sustains us. Phillipians 4:13"